The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was organized. There were 48 members, most of whom came from Kentucky, where the Campbellite church was strong. The congregation contained almost 10 percent of the adult population of Macomb.
The first FCC was erected in Macomb, IL, on Carroll Street, near the southwest corner of the current Chandler Park. It was the third church in Macomb. The Methodist and Presbyterian churches were already established. The lot cost $40.
C.V. Chandler was acquiring the title to the block where the original church was located for a city park. He offered to secure another lot for the church and to donate to a building fund in exchange for the property. The church accepted and put Chandler on the building committee for the new building. The second FCC was erected at our current site. The building and furnishings cost a total of $4,970.
Thirty years later the congregation had grown and decided the building was inadequate for their needs. The old structure was torn down. The third and present FCC was erected at our current site. During construction, church met in the courthouse. This time the cost was $21,652.
Significant changes have been made over the years, including construction of an education building, addition of an elevator,
and rebuilding of the pipe organ.
The 100th Anniversary was observed with a week of celebration. Dedication services were held on September 27, 1958 when Rev. R. M. Hall was minister.
The church celebrated its 150th Anniversary. Dedication services were held on September 17, 1995, when Rev. James Stovall was minister.
We celebrated the 100th anniversary of the present building while Rev. Steve Workman was minister.
All of this history leads us to today. We began a Capital Campaign to make needed renovations to our church home which will allow us to enhance our worship services and enjoy our church building for years to come. See the brochure below for more details.